Compost Site Hours (Weather Permitting):
2021 Season: Wednesday, April 14th through Saturday, November 20th, weather permitting
- Wednesdays from 2:00pm – 7pm (or until dusk in the Fall)
- Saturdays from 9:00am – 4:00pm
- Sundays from 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Officials operating the Compost Site remind the public that the Compost Site is CLOSED during inclement/rainy weather to protect the access roads within the Site. (During prolonged wet weather, vehicles have been stuck at the compost site.)
Residents within the City limits of Chisago City, Lindstrom, Wyoming, and Stacy may compost leaves, grass clippings, and brush (up to 3" diameter) three days a week at no charge. No Commercial Lawn Services, Tree Services, Landscaping Services, or Commercial Businesses will be permitted to haul to or from the site.
Non-City Residents, such as from Chisago Lake Township, Franconia Township, Center City, and Shafer, may also use the facility. Due to Covid-19, non-residents will not be charged any fees for the 2021 season.
Compost Site Regulations
- Plastic bags must be removed.Green bio-degradable bags, paper bags, and compostable flower pots are okay to compost and do not need to be removed.
- No brush over 3 inches in diameter.Place brush in designated areas only- not with the grass/leaves.
- No dimensional lumber.
- Compost is for private use only- commercial use is not allowed.
- Wood chips and black dirt are FREE (when available).Note: it is not screened/cleaned.
- Do not place grass/leaves on existing piles. Place only where designated.
- No tires, appliances or household trash.
- NO DUMPING (of trash or organics) outside the fence.
- Bring your own tools- shovel, gloves, etc.
- Assistance in unloading or loading is generally not available. Sometimes the Boy Scouts are there on the weekends, but only intermittently.
- If it has recently rained excessively, it could be very muddy. Please be mindful of your vehicle’s capabilities.
- The compost site is only open (weather permitting) during the days/hours on the front of the brochure- no exceptions.
- If you need to dispose of items that are not allowed at the compost site, please contact your waste disposal company.
- Helping out is always appreciated! If you see easily accessible debris in the compost pile that does not belong (plastic bags, bungee cords/ties, etc.), please remove it and place it at the dumpster located next to the portable bathroom.
Creating Black Dirt
Over a 4 year time period, organic matter is stacked into large windrows (long piles) and turned over on a regular basis to allow bacteria and microbes to convert plant matter into black dirt. Frequent aerating brings oxygen to the microbes and keeps the temperature of the pile at a safe level.
Processing the Brush Pile
The brush pile at the compost site ends up in a very large wood chipper. Some of the wood chips are sent to Evergreen Energy (a subdivision of Xcel Energy) to be burned for greener energy production. The remaining wood chips are at the compost site to be used by the public.
- Chisago City residents: go 1 mile north on County Road 24 (Lofton Ave.) from the Highway 8 stoplight. Continue north at the 4-Way Stop (intersection of CRD 19 and CRD 24) for .3 tenths of a mile. The site is on the right.
- Lindstrom residents: go north on County Road 14 (Lincoln Road) from the Highway 8 stoplight, then west (left) on County Road 19 (Stacy Trail). At the 4-Way Stop (intersection of CRD 19 and CRD 24), go north (right) on CRD 24 for .3 tenths of a mile. The site is on the right.
- Stacy residents: go east on County Road 19 to the 4-Way Stop (intersection of CRD 19 and CRD 24), then north (left) on CRD 24 for .3 tenths of a mile. The site is on the right.
- Wyoming residents: go north on Hwy 61, then east on County Road 19 (Stacy Trail), then north (left) on CRD 24 for .3 tenths of a mile. The site is on the right.
The Area Compost Site is located at the Chisago Lakes Joint Sewage Treatment Plant site off County Road 24. 31501 Lofton Ave., Chisago City, MN 55013. Click the map below for directions using Google Maps.