Zoning Department


(See also Lindstrom Code Title XV: Land Usage, Chapter 154: Zoning)

The City of Lindstrom requires Building Permits for most landscaping, construction or alteration of buildings and their components within the City limits.

Apply for the following permits at the Lindstrom City Hall: 
  • Fences
  • Signs
  • Bees
  • Chickens
  • Impervious Surface (driveways, sidewalks, patios, etc.)
  • Grading/Excavation/Fill
  • Dumpsters
  • Zoning Compliance (sheds less than 200sf, etc.)

CLICK HERE for City Forms & Documents.

Apply at the Chisago County Environmental Services/Zoning Department for the following permits: 
  • Roofing
  • Siding
  • Decks
  • Windows
  • Fireplaces
  • Mechanical
  • Plumbing
  • Pools (In-ground pools, whether indoor or outdoor. Above-ground pools, except for storable swimming or wading pools having a diameter of 18 feet or less and a wall height of four feet or less and installed for less than 180 days in a calendar year.)
  • Additions/Alterations
  • Garages
  • Sheds if 200sf or more (for sheds less than 200sf apply at Lindstrom City Hall)
  • New Construction
  • Mobile Homes 
  • Short-Term Rental Housing License

Note: For electrical permits or well permits, please visit Chisago County's website for more information https://www.chisagocounty.us/278/Building-Construction-Demolition-Permits

Chisago County building permits are required to be applied for in person with payment required at the time of application.  APPLICATIONS ARE NOT AVAILABLE ONLINE.  You may request an application be mailed out to you for simple projects which do not require building plans, such as reroof, reside, and windows.  In these instances the County office will determine the fee and you can mail in a check with the application.  Chisago County does not process credit/debit card payments by phone.  Please visit their website for more information, the office location and office hours. https://www.chisagocounty.us/278/Building-Construction-Demolition-Permits  Chisago County Environmental Services & Zoning Department:  651-213-8371

Chisago County GIS (Geographic Information System):  https://gis.chisagocounty.us/Link/jsfe/index.aspx

We recommend you contact or meet with the Zoning Administrator (the City Administrator) regarding any questions you may have prior to filling out an Application. These Fees are non-refundable, and additional Service Fees may be added for Consultations, etc. Most often, you will appear before the Planning Commission for a Public Hearing, and possibly the Park Board. The City Council has final approval after reviewing and giving any consideration to recommendations by City Staff and Commissions.

Staff Contacts

Name Title Phone
Melissa (Missy) Glenna Deputy Clerk/Office Manager (651) 257-0805